Friday, December 14, 2012

Skinny Chicken Pot Pie Soup

I’m not much of a recipe sharer.  Shoot, I’m not even much of a cook.  But I figured that since I’ve made this soup twice since coming home 3 weeks ago, it’s worth sharing.  John and I really like to make our own version of chicken pot pie, so when I found this recipe on Pinterest, I knew it was worth a try. 

It’s cold and rainy today, plus I’m feeling a bit under the weather, so I decided chicken pot pie soup was just what the doctor ordered.  It’s easy to make, it’s filling, and it’s oh so yummy.  Even though it’s made with skim milk and no heavy cream, this soup is rich and creamy and guilt free!  I made a few changes to the original recipe (found here) to adapt it my taste and use things that I regularly keep in my pantry.

DSC_0725 Ingredients:

  • 2 cups broth (reserved from boiling chicken)  
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 cups skim milk
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms 
  • 1 container Knorr Homestyle chicken stock concentrate or 2 chicken bouillon cubes.
  • 10 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
  • 1 large potato cut into bite size pieces 
  • 2 large or 3 small chicken breasts, cooked & cut into small pieces (or 1 pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from your grocery store deli)
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch

Directions:

Boil chicken until cooked through and reserve 2 cups of the broth.  Add broth, milk, and chicken stock to a large pot and bring to a slow boil.  Stir often to prevent milk from scorching.  Add mushrooms, vegetables, onion, and celery to pot and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes until vegetables are cooked.  Add potatoes and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).  Wisk together 1/2 cup water with cornstarch.  Add chicken and cornstarch mixture to soup.  Salt and pepper to taste, and stir until soup thickens.

Serve with a fresh baguette and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment